St. Ignatius of Loyola Parish (Boston College)/Transept windows

From Catholic Commons
Jump to: navigation, search


North Transept Windows (Annunciation, Nativity, and Jesus as a Youth)

South Transept Windows (The Public Ministry of Jesus)

Broad views of the Transept Windows

According to Jack Frost[1]The transept window on the north, or Epistle, side of the church portrays scenes from the hidden life of our Lord. From left to right the first lancet depicts the Annunciation; the second, the Nativity; the third, the Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple; and the fourth, the Carpenter Shop at Nazareth. In this fourth lancet a medallion depicting a printer operating a press fittingly recalls the trade of the donors of this window.

Jack Frost [1]describes the south transept windows as follows: The transept window on the Gospel side recalls events from the public life of Our Lord. From left to right the first lancet depicts the Wedding Feast at Cana; the second, the Healing of the Leper (Luke 5:12); the third, the Ecce Homo scene when Jesus was condemned to death by Pilate; the fourth, the Pieta scene when the body of Jesus was taken down from the cross and placed in the arms of His sorrowing mother.

The stained glass windows in the church made by Edward W. Heimer & Company of Paterson, New Jersey and were installed in the church in 1949.



References

  1. 1.0 1.1 Frost, Jack (no date), The Art and Architecture of St. Ignatius Church, accessed at http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/prs/stign/architecture.html