St. Ignatius of Loyola Parish (Boston College)/Exterior
|Tour of the Art & Architecture of St. Ignatius Church|
St. Francis Xavier with a crucifix (symbol of his missionary work in southeast Asia) and a shell (symbol for baptism).
Seal of ArchBishop Richard Cushing, who presided at the church's dedication in 1949. The Latin phrase 'Ut cognoscant te' means 'To know you'.
Seal of Pope Pius XII, who was Pope at the time of the church's dedication in 1949.
Southwest entrance: The Lamb of God, a symbol of the resurrected Christ, holding a victory banner. Ecce Agnus Dei ('Behold the Lamb of God') is engraved above the lamb. The lamb is seated on The Book of Life that has seven seals, which is imagery and symbolism from the 5th chapter of the Book of Revelation.
Southeast entrance: St. Joseph holding the infant Jesus, with a lilly (a symbol of purity) in his right hand.
Above southeast entrance: St. Jude, one of the Twelve Apostles. He is shown shown holding a book in his left hand (representing his Epistle in the Bible) and a club in his right hand (a symbol of his martyrdom.
Above northeast entrance: St. Maria Goretti was a poor Italian girl who was martyred in 1902 at the age of 12, shortly after her first communion. She is shown in her first communion dress and holding a lighted candle.