Project:How to create an account
This is a step-by-step guide for creating an account on Catholic Commons. It is recommended that you open up a new tab (window) in your browser so that you can have this 'How to' open on one window and have Catholic Commons open in the other. This page can be edited by anyone, so if you find any mistakes in the how to steps below, feel free to edit the page (once you have an account) and fix the mistake.
- Go to Catholic Commons home page. The URL is officially http://en.IgnatianWiki.org (for the English version) but www.IgnatianWiki.org will also redirect you to the right place.
- Select the "Log in/create account" link on the top right of the page. If the computer you are using is already logged in, you should select "logout" and then select "log in/create account.
- Select "Create an account". You will be asked to select a Username, password, and an e-mail address. Once you have entered this information, a verification e-mail will be sent from Catholic Commons to the e-mail address you entered and you will need to go into your e-mail account and click on a link in the e-mail to activate the account. The reason for this step is to verify you have access to the e-mail account you enter (e.g., don't use email@example.com). Before selecting a user name, you may want to look over the existing user names. Most users select a user name that preserves anonymity and other users will not have access to the e-mail address you enter.
- If you want to upload photographs at some future point in time, you may want to also get an account on the Ignatian Wiki Commons. This is a separate wiki (with a separate login) that stores photographs that can be shared across future language versions of Catholic Commons. The rationale for this wiki is similar to that of the Mediawiki Commons, which is a repository of images that can be shared across the dozens of different language Wikipedias. By getting an account now on the Commons, it makes it more likely that you will be able to have the same user name on both the English language Ignatian Wiki and on the Commons.
- Once you have activated your account by clicking on the link in the e-mail sent to you, you will be able to login and edit on Catholic Commons. You are able to login to Catholic Commons without verifying the e-mail account, but the "Edit" tab on the top of the each page will not work and you will get a message that you have not yet verified the account.